Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Can't start SQL Server Agent - wants MSSQLServerADHelper

When I try to start the SQL Server Agent service, it gives an error about
starting MSSQLServerADHelper.
When I look in the event log, it says:
The MSSQLServerADHelper service terminated with service-specific error
3221225572.
How can I get SQL Server Agent started? I had maintenance tasks scheduled
(backup, etc.) that now will not run.Are you sure that it is Agent who writes this error?
Check the Agent errorlog for error messages.
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
Archive at: http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver
"JJ" <jjjj@.nospam.com> wrote in message news:eBOIaBurDHA.2244@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> When I try to start the SQL Server Agent service, it gives an error about
> starting MSSQLServerADHelper.
> When I look in the event log, it says:
> The MSSQLServerADHelper service terminated with service-specific error
> 3221225572.
> How can I get SQL Server Agent started? I had maintenance tasks scheduled
> (backup, etc.) that now will not run.
>|||I am positive that this is what occurs:
In the Services Control Panel applet, the SQL Server Agent service is
stopped. (It had been running on this system up until a few weeks ago -
this is a customer system, so I didn't know it stopped until now.)
When I right-click on SQL Server Agent and choose Start, that's when I get
the error on the screen that MSSQLServerADHelper could not be started.
But I think I have found the problem - it looks like someone there changed
SQL Server Agent to run in a specific account. I changed it to run as Local
System and then I could start it.
"Tibor Karaszi" <tibor.please_reply_to_public_forum.karaszi@.cornerstone.se>
wrote in message news:%23dILAtzrDHA.1764@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Are you sure that it is Agent who writes this error?
> Check the Agent errorlog for error messages.
> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> Archive at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver
>
> "JJ" <jjjj@.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:eBOIaBurDHA.2244@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > When I try to start the SQL Server Agent service, it gives an error
about
> > starting MSSQLServerADHelper.
> >
> > When I look in the event log, it says:
> >
> > The MSSQLServerADHelper service terminated with service-specific error
> > 3221225572.
> >
> > How can I get SQL Server Agent started? I had maintenance tasks
scheduled
> > (backup, etc.) that now will not run.
> >
> >
>|||The startup account that they changed it to most likely
didn't have permissions to start the MSSQLServerADHelper
service.
-Sue
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:19:49 -0500, "JJ" <jjjj@.nospam.com>
wrote:
>I am positive that this is what occurs:
>In the Services Control Panel applet, the SQL Server Agent service is
>stopped. (It had been running on this system up until a few weeks ago -
>this is a customer system, so I didn't know it stopped until now.)
>When I right-click on SQL Server Agent and choose Start, that's when I get
>the error on the screen that MSSQLServerADHelper could not be started.
>But I think I have found the problem - it looks like someone there changed
>SQL Server Agent to run in a specific account. I changed it to run as Local
>System and then I could start it.
>
>"Tibor Karaszi" <tibor.please_reply_to_public_forum.karaszi@.cornerstone.se>
>wrote in message news:%23dILAtzrDHA.1764@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Are you sure that it is Agent who writes this error?
>> Check the Agent errorlog for error messages.
>> --
>> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
>> Archive at:
>http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver
>>
>> "JJ" <jjjj@.nospam.com> wrote in message
>news:eBOIaBurDHA.2244@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> > When I try to start the SQL Server Agent service, it gives an error
>about
>> > starting MSSQLServerADHelper.
>> >
>> > When I look in the event log, it says:
>> >
>> > The MSSQLServerADHelper service terminated with service-specific error
>> > 3221225572.
>> >
>> > How can I get SQL Server Agent started? I had maintenance tasks
>scheduled
>> > (backup, etc.) that now will not run.
>> >
>> >
>>
>|||Hi JJ,
Thank you for using MSDN Newsgroup! It's my pleasure to assist you with
your issue.
MSSQLServerADHelper is a service installed by the SQL Server Setup program
that handles the Active Directory objects for all instances of the SQL
Server relational database engine and all Analysis Manager applications
that are running on the computer. There is only one MSSQLServerADHelper
service on a computer for all of the instances of Microsoft SQL Server
2000. This service is set to use the Local System Account by default.
This error only happens only if someone or some service tried to start the
service manually. It's possible that some "monitoring service" would
attempt to start a service if it identified that the service was not
started/running. If you check for such a service and make sure to remove
MSSQLServerADHelper service from it list of service to watch.
To avoid seeing this message again, you should not set the service to start
automatically. You can change this service to manually by
Start->Programs->Administrative tools->Services", find the
"MSSQLServerADHelper" in the list of services and change the property of
it. You right click the "MSSQLServerADHelper" and choose the "properties"
from the menu. Please check and see if the service MSSQLServerADHelper has
"Interact with the desktop" checked in the properties, if yes, then please
uncheck that. Also set the service to manual.
After the above steps are complete let me know if the event logs still get
the error.
I hope my information will help you to solve your problem. Please feel free
to post new information here and I am ready to provide further support.
Sincerely Yours
Baisong, Wei
Microsoft Online Support
----
Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.
Please reply to newsgroups only. Thanks.
--
| From: "JJ" <jjjj@.nospam.com>
| Subject: Can't start SQL Server Agent - wants MSSQLServerADHelper
| Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:01:48 -0500
| Lines: 12
| X-Priority: 3
| X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
| X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
| X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
| Message-ID: <eBOIaBurDHA.2244@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.server
| NNTP-Posting-Host: 146.145.51.166
| Path:
cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA05.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08|||I am unable to start the service after following the steps mentioned and it is showing the same error in the event log
From http://www.developmentnow.com/g/118_2003_11_0_0_465849/Cant-start-SQL-Server-Agent--wants-MSSQLServerADHelper.ht
Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Group
http://www.developmentnow.com|||Hi
Have tou tried to use the local system account and/or start the service from
SQL Server Service Manager or through enterprise manager? What does the SQL
Agent log file contain?
John
"prashanthi" wrote:
> I am unable to start the service after following the steps mentioned and it is showing the same error in the event log.
> From http://www.developmentnow.com/g/118_2003_11_0_0_465849/Cant-start-SQL-Server-Agent--wants-MSSQLServerADHelper.htm
> Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Groups
> http://www.developmentnow.com
>

No comments:

Post a Comment