Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Can't start SQLEXPRESS so that I can't install latest SQLEXPRESS security updates.

I can't start SQLEXPRESS.

The SQL ERRORLOG shows: Error is 3414, Severity 21, State 2 and says: "An error occurred during recovery, preventing the database 'model' (database ID 3) from restarting." Just prior to this, I get a warning: "did not see LP_CKPT_END".

Any thoughts why this might be and how I can fix this?

Seems like something happened to your master database, check out the BOL topic on restoring master for starters.

Mike

|||

Thank you for your thoughts.

Unfortunately, I am not able to restore the database because I can't start SQLEXPRESS. I have even tried the command line sqlservr -s SQLEXPRESS command line command without success.

I continue to get this warning "did not see LP_CKPT_END" Error:3414, Severity:21, State: 1.

It might help to know that I have never used the SQLEXPRESS database on my box before. (I also have an instance of MSSQLSERVER and that is what I have been using. MSSQLSERVER starts up without issue.)

I'm not sure what it is that I would be restoring as I haven't created any databases in SQLEXPRESS.

The issue began when I update MSSQLSERVER with SP2 (KB 933508) install package. It seemed to take fine. I also did the install after March 5, 2007 -- a critical date for this update.

When the SQL 2005 Express SP2 (KB 921896) came out, it would load because it couldn't start an instance of SQLEXPRESS.

Does this help explain the background better? Your further suggestions would be helpful.

|||

This one is beyond me. Moving to the setup forum to ask the experts.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment