Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Can't start the SQLAGENT service

Hi Guru,
I'm tired of trouleshoot one of my sql box that the sqlagent can't started.
Here is the message:
SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: Unable to connect to server '
(local)'; SQLServerAgent cannot start)
SQLSERVER runs on LocalSystem account with started up type automatic and
successful
Connect to SQL Analyzer: LocalHost, . (period), (local) and blank all
successful
Registry key and MDAC are good safe
BUILTIN\Administrators is present and SYSADMIN rights
From AD, domain accounts passwords are in synch.
Win2000, SQL2000 SP3a and build 800.00.760
Client and network utility used both name pipe and TCP
From enterprise manager on the server itself, I am able to register the
server by supplying the server name. However, when I tried to register with
the (local), I was never able to do so.
I also tried to restart the SQL agent with localsystem, domain and local
admin accounts none of them can start the service. These accounts are local
admin to the box and have complete sysdmin rights to sql server. From query
analyzer, these accounts can connect to server with blank, LocalHost, (local
),
and period. So, this tells me that the server does not experience of
resolving (local) connection.
I tried to log on to the server with both local and domain accounts to start
agent but nothing is good for me. I tried to change startup account from
enterprise manager to make sure security is in synch but still the same.
However, the last thing that Ive not done is reboot the OS.
Please help,
Thanks,
Silaphet,
Message posted via droptable.com
http://www.droptable.com/Uwe/Forum...server/200605/1(local) only works on the default instance. Are you trying to connect
to a named instance?|||can you check whats the exact message in SQLAGENT.OUT

No comments:

Post a Comment