Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Can't Start SS Business Intelligence installed from SS 2005 Express Edition Toolkit

I downloaded and installed Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services and Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Toolkit. Installs completed successfully, and I can launch the SS Management Studio, but when I launch SS Business Intelligence Development Studio, I get message saying "Windows is searching for devenv.exe". When I search for this file I don't find it on my hard drive.

I thought I'd reinstall the SS Express Edition Toolkit, but I can't find this application in the Control Panel Installed Programs list, so I can't uninstall it.

Any ideas as to how I can get SS Business Intelligence Studio working?

Hey Probie,

Individual SQL components are all listed in Add/Remove Programs under Microsoft SQL Server 2005. You have to launch the main app maintenance mode and then select the component you want to remove, in this case the Workstation Tools, an go from there.

It does look like something went wrong with the installation of the VS shell that BIDS uses, so uninstall is a likely first step.

Regards,

Mike Wachal
SQL Express team

-
Please mark your thread as Answered when you get your solution.

|||

Probie,

Do you have visual studio 2003 installed?

I had the same problem and it seemed related to VS2003:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=368549&SiteID=1

|||

Thanks for this information Lacan. Probie, let us know if this works for you.

- Mike

|||

Hello,

I am having the same problem as probie. Although BIDS shows in my programs menu, it does not appear as a component in Add/Remove programs neither will it run when accessed via the start menu.

Does anyone know if there is a way to resolve this issue?

Cheers,

sfx

|||

sfx1,

Did you already try what I had suggested via the link above?

(unzip the files from the SQLEXPR_TOOLKIT.EXE and launch the vs_setup.msi directly under the exposed \setup folder)?

When you say that it won't run, do you mean that the devenv.exe is not found? If so, please try what I suggested and see if it installs the devenv for you. If it doesn't work, try running that package vs_setup.msi with logging and see what the log says.

Regards,

Lacan

|||

Hi Lacan,

Thank you for your reply. Did you happen to install the SQLEXPR_TOOLKIT.EXE prior to running the vs_setup.msi or did you just install the vs_setup.msi by itself?

Thanks again,

sfx1

|||

I believe the last time, I had tried to install everything gtom sqlexpr_toolkit.exe FIRST, and when the shortcut to BIDS did not work, I started exploring and found the vs_setup.msi and ran that.

It installed BIDS correctly, then I was able to start designing reports. Good question, and I should have been more explicit about the order. Thanks

Regards,

-Lacan

|||

Hi Lacan,

Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate it. I will give your suggestions a go. :)

Cheers,

sfx1

|||

Lacan,

I found the vs_Setup.msi in the setup folder of SQLxpress Tools.exe. Ran the setup

(there is no indication that the vs_setup is running, but when I checked Processes in task manager, msiexec.exe was using CPU) ,

after setup ended, voila! devene.exe was in the IDE folder, and BIDS opened successfully.

Thanks for your help.

probie

|||

I didn't get any indication that setup was running either. The package just seemed to sound like it was responsible for the devenv part of it so I ran it as an experiment and the same occurred for me.

I'm glad it worked out.

Regards,

-Lacan

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment