Thursday, March 8, 2012

Can't restore a published database

I have a database that is published. I created a backup, then went to test
the restore and I can't, because the database is published. How do I restore?
If you want to restore on top of a published database, you'll need to drop
the publications in the existing database and then unpublish it first.
Cheers,
Paul Ibison SQL Server MVP, www.replicationanswers.com
|||Thank you Paul,
This particular published database has a pull subscription. Do I need to
delete the subscription as well?
thanks again.
Leo
"Paul Ibison" wrote:

> If you want to restore on top of a published database, you'll need to drop
> the publications in the existing database and then unpublish it first.
> Cheers,
> Paul Ibison SQL Server MVP, www.replicationanswers.com
>
>
|||Yes. I hope this is a test environment because you're regressing the
publisher database and when the publication is set up again you'll be
regressing the subscriber as well. If it is not just a test system, please
explain a little more about what is going on before starting anything.
Cheers,
Paul Ibison SQL Server MVP, www.replicationanswers.com
|||restore with the keep_replication parameter.
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
"Leo Demarce" <LeoDemarce@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B99FD345-C2DB-42D1-BE4B-62BE165FE7DE@.microsoft.com...
>I have a database that is published. I created a backup, then went to test
> the restore and I can't, because the database is published. How do I
> restore?
|||Actually I am having problems reproducing your scenario. I can successfully
restore a backup onto an existing published database, and also onto another
server. Hilary's solution (keep_replication) might work for you but I can
get by without the parameter so perhaps you can explain a little more your
scenario and the error message received - does it contain publications or
subscriptions, are you restoring to the same server etc.
Cheers,
Paul Ibison SQL Server MVP, www.replicationanswers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment