Sunday, March 11, 2012

Can''t run integration services package as a sql server agent task

Hi guys, I 've been trying to run an integration services package as server agent scheduled task so that I dont have to manually execute the package every 2 hours. I was following how to guide in msdn to set up a server agant task for integration services package but I'm kind a lost. First of all when I ran the Management Studio and connected to the integration services the server agent does not show up it only shows me runing and stored packages. I can access to the server agent when I connect to the database engine but when I create a task and try to add a step to open a integration services package it does not give me the choice in type box. I couldn't figure out the problem. Is there a way to enable server agent to run under integration services too (not just under database engine) if databse engine is the only place server agents works , why dont I see the option to open a ssis package at adding a step to tasks? or is there a way to automate the process to run the package automatically without using the server agent at all?

Thanks,

Burak

PS I was following the http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms139805.aspx article

You will find SQL Server Agent only under the relational DB and that is fine.; You should be able to create a job with an step to run the package you want to.

You have 2 option for the step type; you can use a SSIS package type or a command line (CmdExc) type.

This is a KB article with the most common problems when scheduling a package and their workarounds:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918760

BTW, Where is the package stored?

|||

The server agent is part of the database engine.

You will need to set up the proxy / credential / etc...

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1955723&SiteID=1

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=703968&SiteID=1

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1322146&SiteID=1

|||

package is stored in the same file system as the sql server.

By the way when I chose the type as CmdExec it gives me sql error #14250 and it says my command is longer than 3200 chars as it tries to run the whole xml file as a command line prompt I guess. I believe if I can find a way to activate SSIS package option at the package type field I might be able to get pass this problem I'm going to try the solution with the proxy account maybe that will help.

|||

Ok I tried to follow the tutorials about how to create proxies and credentials unfortunatly when I expand the security tab of the database engine it just shows me logins and server roles no credentials. I do wonder wouldn't be easier if Microsoft just added the functionality to schedule the packages through Business Intelligence. I'm just frusturated following through all those how to's and at the end of the day still having the same problem.

|||

You tried the security folder of the overall server, and not the database that you are using? Are you using SQL Server Management Studio? It should be there....

No comments:

Post a Comment