Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Cant see SQL Server for first attempt

When I try to create MS OLE DB connection to SQL Server 2000 from some workstation I can't see server. After 200 sec I'm getting "timeout" message, but when I click "Ok" and try again it get connected fine. It doesn't matter if I'm doing this from Data Link Property or any other application. Always it fails on first time and works for second. I tried to check MDAC with COmCheck, reinstall MDAC even. Still no luck.
Thanks for any help.I am having a similar simptoms when connecting to one of my clients via VPN. May be a stupid question but did you check all the wires?:confused:|||This workstation works fine on a network, what wires you talking about?|||Well, if it's not the wire (network wire going to/coming to/from the NIC), then check the group policy for that workstation. Is any any different from the ones where you don't experience the problem?|||When I try to connect SQL Server 2000, I log on to workstation under my name to avoid all possible security problems, and it [connection to server] is works fine on other workstations uner my name.|||Looks like the two workstations are establishing a connection, when your contact your SQL Server for the first time.

If you close the connection,a nd you start again, it works immediately? Try to go to your SQL Server workstation with your WindowsExplorer, first, and see whether you can see it's directory structure immediately.|||I can see directory structure of my SQL Server machine immediately.

It looks for me like user workstation can't see SQL Server comp for some reasons with first attempt. And if I try to create connection (using any driver!) it takes 200 sec to get timeout message, after that it connects fine (of course I should click "Ok" and click "Test connection" second time). Second time works Ok always. The same thing happends in my VB applications. And yes, If I close application, or Data Link Property window, or any other way to connect to the Server, I will wait another 200 sec for first attempt. So, for user it looks like 200 sec delay, responce for error message without closing application, second attempt - application works fine, despite it open and close connections. If application will closed and reopen again, user should wait again 200 sec. But part of workstations works just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment