Thursday, March 22, 2012

Cant seem to find IUSR_MachineName in users using SQLEXPRESS 2005

Hello,

I have an ASP web app with an SQL back end. I am currently migrating to a
new Windows 2003 Server machine and SQL Server 2005 Express. When I import
the old database, I'm trying to grant the IUSR_MachineName account access to
the database, but I can't seem to find that user account. I'm clicking new
users, and when I type this user in, SQL doesn't recognize it, and when I
click "Browse" all I see is BUILTIN/Administrators, BUILTIN/Users NT
Authority/System SA (which is not in use) and a long name that includes a
lot of dollar signs, the machine name and SQL express in it (it's a big
cryptic looking thing). Any idea how I get this to work again?

Thanks!"Rico" <r c o l l e n s @. h e m m i n g w a y . c o mREMOVE THIS PART IN
CAPS> wrote in news:jqQDf.291171$tl.48607@.pd7tw3no:

> When I import the old database, I'm trying to grant the
> IUSR_MachineName account access to the database, but I can't seem to
> find that user account.

I can't find that account either, unless...

On one Server 2003, I do not have IIS6 installed/activated (I have not yet
indentified any roles this server will have). On another Server 2003, I do.
In Computer Management control panel, Local Users and Groups, Users, I see
IUSR_<machinename>.

On the third hand, this built-in name will not show when searching for
objects when adding names to the Security tab of Folder Properties, nor, I
would imagine, any other place where you can pick names of Users or Groups.

I think it's just a name you have to know about.

Now, SQL Server 2005 Express - I just finished installing that. What a
fracking nightmare!

--
Remove INVALID from e-mail address.

Brian Smither
Smither Consulting|||ARGH! Thanks Brian,

I managed to fight through that (was my inexperience with SQL 2005,
(defining the Logins before defining the Users).

Now I'm faced with a different issue. I finally got my ASP.Net app working
using an ADO interface to SQL Server 2005 to create a crystal report,
exporting to a pdf file (phew!). I was screaming for joy when I finally got
this all working. I began testing, starting with the first report, it ran
for a long time and didn't produce anything. I went back to the first
report I ran, and it ran a long time and didn't produce anything. I opened
up management studio, and IT wouldn't even connect! I got a "Cannot
generate SSPI context" error, out of the blue, after it was already working.
nothing had changed in the meantime, I'm always careful about that.

Anyway, if you have any idea what might have occured, please let me know. I
hope this is not indicative of an unreliable database system.

"Brian Smither" <bsmitherINVALID@.INVALIDcitlink.net> wrote in message
news:Xns975FEE24E4A1SmithCon@.67.98.68.13...
> "Rico" <r c o l l e n s @. h e m m i n g w a y . c o mREMOVE THIS PART IN
> CAPS> wrote in news:jqQDf.291171$tl.48607@.pd7tw3no:
>> When I import the old database, I'm trying to grant the
>> IUSR_MachineName account access to the database, but I can't seem to
>> find that user account.
> I can't find that account either, unless...
> On one Server 2003, I do not have IIS6 installed/activated (I have not yet
> indentified any roles this server will have). On another Server 2003, I
> do.
> In Computer Management control panel, Local Users and Groups, Users, I see
> IUSR_<machinename>.
> On the third hand, this built-in name will not show when searching for
> objects when adding names to the Security tab of Folder Properties, nor, I
> would imagine, any other place where you can pick names of Users or
> Groups.
> I think it's just a name you have to know about.
>
> Now, SQL Server 2005 Express - I just finished installing that. What a
> fracking nightmare!
>
> --
> Remove INVALID from e-mail address.
> Brian Smither
> Smither Consultingsql

No comments:

Post a Comment