Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Can't see or access tables through linked server

Apparently I am doing something wrong and I don't know what!

I am needing to link a remote Oracle Server to SQL Server 2005.

I have (I think) followed the steps precisely to create the linked

server both by code or through the SQL Server Management Studio and I

get the same results eith way. I can see the linked server and there are no apparent errors but I can't see or access the tables from Oracle.

If I try a Select statement on a table from the linked server I get the

error "Msg 208, Level 16, Stat 1, Server {servername}, Line 1 Invalid

object name"

I am assuming this is a permissions issue but I don't see it. I

am an admin on both the SQL Server DB and the Oracle DB with full

access and I am using windows authentication.

I have mapped local logons to the remote logon and tried almost every

possible combination of security contexts and other users on the local

and linked server but I always get the same result. The Oracle server shows it is linked but I can't get to any table on the linked server.

Any help on this would be really appreciated. I have already spent two days on this.

Thanks in advance.

This kb should help.

support.microsoft.com/kb/280106

|||

I don't think this applies. This KB article only covers up to Windows 2000 and Oracle 8.i.

We have either 2003 server or XP (happening on two machines) and Oracle 10g.

Also, I am not getting any error messages as the article discusses, I just can't see the tables.

Thanks for the help.

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment