Tuesday, March 20, 2012

can't see the sql 2005 box from sql 2000 box

Hey guys. my plans were to setup replicatin for test from sql 2005 to sql
2000. I could see the 2k box from 2005 but not the other way. Is there
something i'm missing or it's not doable? Please let me know. Also, i can't
replicate from 2000 to 2005, right? can i replicate from 2005 to 2000? thank
you very much for your help...
Tejas
Tejas,
this article will explain the compatibility between different versions:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143241.aspx
As for setting up the SQL 2005 subscription to a 2000 publisher, you can set
this up by registering your 2000 publisher in Management Studio.
Cheers,
Paul Ibison SQL Server MVP, www.replicationanswers.com
(recommended sql server 2000 replication book:
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602p.html)
|||I actually have problems even before doing all this. I can't even register my
2005 box in 2000 SQL EM. I can register the 2000 box in 2005 though. To do
this, I'm using SQL authentication. I have created usernames in both servers.
I dont know if it's doable. Please let me know. Thank you for the article
though.
I will be able to use Transactional(1 way) i assume since my pub/dist is
2000 and sub will be 2005. Please let me know if i understand this crrrectly.
thank you.
|||Tejas,
I probably didn't explain myself clearly - what I was meaning is that you
can register the 2000 SQL Server in SSMS and then create the publication on
the 2000 box using SSMS.
Cheers,
Paul Ibison SQL Server MVP, www.replicationanswers.com
(recommended sql server 2000 replication book:
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602p.html)
|||Hey Paul. I might be missing something maybe. I'll explain to you what i did.
I registered the 2000 box in SSMS. I created a Trans. publication (1 way)
from there. The publisher and dist side is setup. Now I wanted to add a pull
subscription from 2005 box.
What I did was, I went to the publisher properties on the 2000 box, went to
subscribers and tried to add a subscriber there. I supplied the instance
name, SQL authentication etc. for the 2005 box, but it gives me an error
saying
"SQL Server replication requires the actual server name to make a connection
to the server. Connections through a server alias, IP address, or any other
alternate name are not supported. Specify the actual server name, ''.
(Replication.Utilities)
I can ping my 2005 box but can't see SQL on that box from any 2000 boxes.
They are on different windows domain if that makes any difference for SQL
authentication. Please let me know how i would add this subscriber and
subscribe a 2005 box to a 2000 publication.
thank you, paul
Regards,
Tejas Parikh
|||Tejas,
I'll just install SQL 2000 on my 2005 Virtual PC then try to repro this.
Rgds,
Paul
"Tejas Parikh" <TejasParikh@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:258DC9E3-EA16-4A7B-AF7A-2BB853B26529@.microsoft.com...
> Hey Paul. I might be missing something maybe. I'll explain to you what i
> did.
> I registered the 2000 box in SSMS. I created a Trans. publication (1 way)
> from there. The publisher and dist side is setup. Now I wanted to add a
> pull
> subscription from 2005 box.
> What I did was, I went to the publisher properties on the 2000 box, went
> to
> subscribers and tried to add a subscriber there. I supplied the instance
> name, SQL authentication etc. for the 2005 box, but it gives me an error
> saying
> "SQL Server replication requires the actual server name to make a
> connection
> to the server. Connections through a server alias, IP address, or any
> other
> alternate name are not supported. Specify the actual server name, ''.
> (Replication.Utilities)
> I can ping my 2005 box but can't see SQL on that box from any 2000 boxes.
> They are on different windows domain if that makes any difference for SQL
> authentication. Please let me know how i would add this subscriber and
> subscribe a 2005 box to a 2000 publication.
> thank you, paul
> Regards,
> Tejas Parikh
|||Tejas,
I have no problem registering SQL 2005 as a subscriber on my SQP 2000
Publisher box. In fact, I didn't have to register the server in Enterprise
Manager as a SQL Server - it was automatically picked up. As a variation, I
could also create the subscription directly (including having the subscriber
added as I verified from the generated script) from within SSMS. You might
want to try it that way instead.
Cheers,
Paul Ibison SQL Server MVP, www.replicationanswers.com
(recommended sql server 2000 replication book:
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602p.html)
|||Hey Paul. I thought it should be that easy. but my EM doesn't pick it up. I
try to register it and it gives me an error saying the server doesn't exist
or access denied. the username i'm trying to use is a sysadmin on the 2005
box. Do i have to check something in Windows or i'm just crazy to not get it
to work? thank you for your time and help, Paul.
|||Tejas,
have a look in the SQL Server Configuration Manager on the 2005 box and
check onn the protocol properties that the instance isn't hidden. Also, on
the 2000 box, you say that pinging the 2005 box works - is this using the IP
address or the netbios name? If the IP address, then I wonder if a full
trust relationship exists between your domains? What happens if you ping the
netbiosname instead? If this doesn't work, then I think you'll need an alias
set up on the publisher for the subscriber, and an entry in the hosts file.
Also I can't tell if you've tried setting up the subscription while using
SSMS - both push and pull would be interesting.
Cheers,
Paul Ibison SQL Server MVP, www.replicationanswers.com
(recommended sql server 2000 replication book:
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602p.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment