Thursday, March 22, 2012

Can't Send mail using MultiServer Admin

Hi,

I have a Master server which I want to use to handle jobs for our Production Servers. the master server has Outlook installed but the Target servers do not. I need to find a way to get the job to send a mail confirming whether the job has succeeded or failed but without having a mail client installed on any of the target servers. Currently the actual backups do run but the send mail section fails with the following error.

xp_sendmail: Procedure expects parameter @.user, which was not supplied. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 17985). The step failed.

I can't see any parameter @.User on BOL, it may be that using sendmail is not the best way foward here

Any ideas anyone?

Hi, I had this problem when I migrated my server to new hardware. I had not yet set up the Outlook account which SQL Server uses to send the mail on the new hardware. You have to login to your box with the same account that you use for the SQL Server startup service and create an outlook profile on that account before you can send the mail using xp_sendmail. Hope this helps!|||

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the response, we don't want to install an Outlook client on the target servers which was cauing the problem, I managed to resolve the issue by using smtp instead

Regards

Lisa

|||

how do you set up the smtp on your target server? I'd like to do the same but have not any idea, I am a newbie in both SQL and network. Thanks.

|||Try using http://www.sqldev.net/xp/sp_smtp_sendmail.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment