Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Can't Register SQL server in EM

I have been trying to register a SQL server in my server
group in Enterprise Manager but it cannot find the
server. The SQL server (SQLServer2k) resides on a server
machine running WinServer2K. I am trying to gain access
from a remote PC running Win2k.
I am able to see the server in the list of available
servers when I run the registration wizard. But when I
finish the wizard it fails to establish a connection. I
have double checked login ID and password. I even set up
another instance of a SQL server on the server machine.
When I start the wizard again to register the new server,
I see the new server in the available list but I can't
connect to it either.
I uninstalled and reinstalled SQLServer2k on both the
server and the client PC. Still no luck. I can establish
ethernet connection between the two machines so it doesn't
appear to be a network problem, especially when I can see
the servers in my availability list.
Any ideas on why this is happening?
Roger.
What error are you getting when the connection failure occurs?
Rand
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.
|||I get a simple "Timeout expired" message. (in detail: "<servername> - Timeout expired")
Roger.
-- Rand Boyd [MSFT] wrote: --
What error are you getting when the connection failure occurs?
Rand
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.
|||Try increasing the login timeout for Enterprise Manager. In
Enterprise Manager, go to the menu to tools and then select
Options. On the Advanced tab, increase the login timeout
from the default 4 seconds.
-Sue
On Fri, 7 May 2004 09:16:04 -0700, "Roger Denison"
<anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I get a simple "Timeout expired" message. (in detail: "<servername> - Timeout expired")
>Roger.
> -- Rand Boyd [MSFT] wrote: --
> What error are you getting when the connection failure occurs?
> Rand
> This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.
>
|||set the login time out to 0 which is unlimited
"Rand Boyd [MSFT]" <rboyd@.onlinemicrosoft.com> wrote in message
news:Mw9dC72MEHA.3780@.cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl...
> What error are you getting when the connection failure occurs?
> Rand
> This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment