Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Cant install MSDE - Get message about Strong Passwords

Hi, I am a newbie when it comes to SQL. At work I was
handed a 4 inch thick book titled, 'Microsoft SQL Server
2000', and a book on just the learning SQL language. Im
trying to spend time at work learning this but I have many
other functions and work to take care of. So I asked my
boss and he told me that if I wanted to be able to
continue studying at home that I would need to download
the free version of SQL Server which is called MSDE and is
available to download from Microsoft. So I went home and
downloaded it. Here is the problem...When I try to
install it using SETUP.exe, I get a message informing me
that a SA password is required to install the program. I
have no Idea what that is except that is refered to as a
strong password.
At that point it tell me I need to use some other thing to
supply a SA password and then it will continue to install
the program. I think its expecting me to already know a
bit about SQL which I dont, and also expects me to know
how to install a program via command lines which I dont.
Does anyone know what i'm talking about here, and if so,
what is the laymans, easiest way to accomplish what it is
the istall program wants me to do? Please dont refer me
to some microsoft informational document. I tried that
last night and all it did was confuse me, as they assume
that I know more than I do. I just want to be able to
install the MSDE program on my home computer and once
thats done Ill probably need some hints on how to set up
MSDE to be run for the first time...like how to make it
look at a database thats local. From there on I can muddle
throught the actual learning process on my own.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Tim
Tim,
ReadmeMSDE2000A.htm comes with your download and it talks about common
installation problems.
To install MSDE, you need to supply a strong pasword for sa (something that
is not empty). You can open a DOS prompt, change to the MSDE setup.exe
directory and run 'setup SAPWD=<yourpassword>'
Thanks,
Amy
| Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
| From: "Tim" <twilliams@.indicopublic.com>
| Sender: "Tim" <twilliams@.indicopublic.com>
| Subject: Cant install MSDE - Get message about Strong Passwords
| Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:02:42 -0700
| Lines: 32
| Message-ID: <19ab501c41cd2$e7a4bea0$a401280a@.phx.gbl>
| MIME-Version: 1.0
| Content-Type: text/plain;
| charset="iso-8859-1"
| Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
| X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
| X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4910.0300
| Thread-Index: AcQc0uekPVanx5LCRE+b6Cmo5Vvz2Q==
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde
| Path: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl
| Xref: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde:13487
| NNTP-Posting-Host: tk2msftngxa12.phx.gbl 10.40.1.164
| X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde
|
| Hi, I am a newbie when it comes to SQL. At work I was
| handed a 4 inch thick book titled, 'Microsoft SQL Server
| 2000', and a book on just the learning SQL language. Im
| trying to spend time at work learning this but I have many
| other functions and work to take care of. So I asked my
| boss and he told me that if I wanted to be able to
| continue studying at home that I would need to download
| the free version of SQL Server which is called MSDE and is
| available to download from Microsoft. So I went home and
| downloaded it. Here is the problem...When I try to
| install it using SETUP.exe, I get a message informing me
| that a SA password is required to install the program. I
| have no Idea what that is except that is refered to as a
| strong password.
| At that point it tell me I need to use some other thing to
| supply a SA password and then it will continue to install
| the program. I think its expecting me to already know a
| bit about SQL which I dont, and also expects me to know
| how to install a program via command lines which I dont.
| Does anyone know what i'm talking about here, and if so,
| what is the laymans, easiest way to accomplish what it is
| the istall program wants me to do? Please dont refer me
| to some microsoft informational document. I tried that
| last night and all it did was confuse me, as they assume
| that I know more than I do. I just want to be able to
| install the MSDE program on my home computer and once
| thats done Ill probably need some hints on how to set up
| MSDE to be run for the first time...like how to make it
| look at a database thats local. From there on I can muddle
| throught the actual learning process on my own.
| Thanks in advance for your help!
| Tim
|

No comments:

Post a Comment