Friday, February 24, 2012

Can't make a connection to SQL Express as Server does not exist or access denied...

Hi

I have recently downloaded SQL Server Express which I have installed using Windows authentication mode. I cannot seem to be able to make a connection to SQL Server from Dreamweaver or Microsoft Visual Web Developer as I am getting an error Server does not exist or access is denied....

I am relatively new to all of this, so would appreciate any advice....

When I installed SQL Server Express I chose Windows Authentication. When I fire up SQL Express and view Security option - the installation program has set up an sa login with a random password. I did not set this password, but think this might be a reason why I can't connect. To rectify the problem I tried creating a new user in SQL Server Express with a password that I specified. On going in to check the settings, I notice SQL Server Express has gone and changed it from the password that I set up.

Now when I try and connect to SQL Server Express I specify the following in the connection paramaters

Server: BGIRL\SQLEXPRESS

Database The database name that I've created

User: the new user that I created

Password: the password I created as part of new user setup

Now I get error message Server does not exist or access denied

Is the problem to do with passwords or perhaps one of the many parameters one seems to have to set up? How can I change a password if I didn't create it? Is there anywhere I can reset it?

PLEASE HELP - I have literally spent 3 days attempting to get this working and am about to give up entirely. Due to my lack of experience, I need very specific step by step instructions..

DId you enable remote connections ? For a step by step guide, visit my site on the link below and visit the Screencast section, you will find the Enable Remote Connection on the list. Feel free to put a comment in there if you find it useful.

HTH, Jens SUessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de|||

Thank you for your quick response. I viewed some of your screencasts, and they are very useful...

I had already enabled remote connections so this was not the problem, started up the SQL Browser too, and no luck.

I believe my problem is to do with SQL Express automatically setting up an sa password for me, I can't seem to be able to change this - any ideas as to how I can get around it? Also, when I create my own user in SQL Express, the software automatically changes the password so that I can't use the new user either. Is there a setting I need to change?

Regards Bron

|||There might be a firewall issue with your computer. By default SQL Server is listening on 1433 and uses 1434 additionally. Make sure these ones are not blocked. SQL Server won′t chnage the passwords for you, if you mean that after creating a new user the numbers of stars / dots in the password field differs from the one you entered, that is just for obfuscating the real length of the password and just means that there i something secure store, you don′t need to care about that.

HTH; Jens Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de

No comments:

Post a Comment