Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cant open Northwinds database diagrams node in SQL MSE

Hi.

I'm very new to this so I apologise in advance for asking the blindibly obvious. I have installed SQL Express and SQL Server Management Studio Express and I have downloaded and attached the Northwind sample database. I can see and edit the data in the tables but when I try to open the Database Diagram node I get the following message:

Database diagram support objects cannot be installed because this database does not have a valid owner. To continue, first use the Files page of the Database Properties dialog box or the ALTER AUTHORIZATION statement to set the database owner to a valid login, then add the database diagram support objects.

I have no idea what a valid logon would be. Can somebody help?

Thanks

The error is related to compatility level because you attached a 2000 MDF instead of 2005 and the fix is in the link below. Hope this helps.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=85378&SiteID=1

|||

Hi,

No luck. Following the instructions in the link I first tried to change the property by right clicking on the database and selecting properties, but I couldn't find a property that looked relevant. Is it not available in the the Express version of the manager?

I then tried the alternative method provided in the link, and ran the SQL code:

EXEC sp_dbcmptlevel 'Northwind','90'

This appeared to work, in that the following message appeared in the window at the bottom:

DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

However, I still get the error when I try to create or view database diagrams for Northwind.

|||If you dont have it download and install the advanced, right click on the Northwind in management studio and click on ALTER and generate create database statement and drop the original and execute the new one so you can clean out the 2000 features from it. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment