Thursday, February 16, 2012

Can't install SQL Server 2005 Standard -- beta versions detected

===============================================
UNACCEPTABLLY POOR UNINSTALL AND INSTALL ROUTINES !!!
===============================================

These routines should be unstoppable! How can we sell if we can't install! Tongue Tied

I can't get the SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition to load after I have removed SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition CTP (June). I have been using the Beta 2 for a few months.

I have used the uninstall routine located on this page:
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/uninstall/preRTMuninstall/default.aspx

The above uninstall routine reports that everything has been uninstalled.
However, when I run setup from my RTM dvd, I get the following message:

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup

SQL Server 2005 Setup has detected incompatible components from beta versions of Visual Studio, .NET Framework, or SQL Server 2005. Use Add or Remove Programs to remove these components, and then run SQL Server 2005 again. For detailed instructions on uninstalling SQL Server 2005, see SQL Server 2005 Readme.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Thank you for your help.
Charles Sommers

The problem above was fixed by running the following commands. I had a named instance of "sql_inst_01". Initially, I ran the following command for only the named instances, not the default instance. When I ran the commands for the MSSQLSERVER instance the install worked.

start /wait <CD Drive>\setup.exe /qb REMOVE=ALL INSTANCENAME=<InstanceName>

For the default instance, specify "MSSQLSERVER" for InstanceName.

start /wait msiexec /qb /X <CD Drive>\Setup\sqlncli.msi

start /wait <CD Drive>\redist\2.0\dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c:"install /qu"

The key was to run the uninstall for the named and default instance.

A more descriptive error message would have saved me 5 hours of frustration.

Thank you,
Charles Sommers

No comments:

Post a Comment