Thursday, February 16, 2012

Can't install sql server 2005

Can't install sql server 2005

When I insert the disk autoplay flashes on the screen, then I get the message -
windows cannot open this file
splash.hta

I tried directly clicking several setup icons, but cancelled them because they didn't seem to be the initial setup of the server.

I've done this with both the dvd and the cds

dennist685

It worked with virtual-CD

This typically is an issue of a missing file association for the hta extension. To manually make the association, open Windows Explorer. From the Tools menu select Folder Options. From the Folder Options dialog select the File Types tab. Scroll down to see if there is an entry for HTA. Under File Types for HTA it should say "HTML Application". The associated information should be:

Action: Open
Application used to perform action: C:\WINDOWS\System32\mshta.exe "%1" %*
Use DDE: On
Application: mshta
Topic: System

Thanks,
Samuel Lester (MSFT)|||Thanks Samuel,

Can't say whether it'll work or not. I'm out for the morning, and won't be home until the late afternoon. Meantime I made the association on my laptop.

Hope it works. Thank you very much for the time you spent helping me. Somehow I still get the feeling I'll have to uninstall vs studio 2005, then reinstall beta2, then sqlserver beta2, then uninstall them. Which should I uninstall first. I want to make sure beta2 net framework beta 2.0 is there when I uninstall beta2.

dennist685|||

Did anybody get a solution on this. I am facing the same problem. I tried to open using windows explorer and it first throws javascript error and then it shows the Splash Screen on selecting install server components it throws a message saying. "Please go to Control panel to install and configure system components."

Any help is appreciated.

|||The message Rahul.Net reported is actually a different problem than what started this thread.

"Please go to Control panel to install and configure system components" is usually caused by having remnants of a previous SQL Server installation. This could be the same or an earlier version of SQL Server. It could even be a client only installation - and that is what can make it particularly difficult to troubleshoot. Any number of third party applications could install SQL client software to connect with a remote SQL Server. The presence of these items can confuse the SQL Server 2005 installer and prevent it from working. You may very well find yourself needing to uninstall third party software, install SQL Server 2005, then reinstall the third party software.

No comments:

Post a Comment