Sunday, February 19, 2012

Cant log into remote server

Hello everyone, I am having issues with connecting to

another database on the same network. I am creating a management system for the

company that I work for and I am currently working on the database side of it

and learning as I go along which means that I am fairly new but I think I have

got the basic concepts.

The system will have multiple databases at different locations.

The idea is for all the databases to have all the same data so that the system

can keep operating if the internet goes down.

The plan is to use the merge replication function within sql 2005 (currently working with the enterprise trial); I think I need to do

publications and subscriptions on all the databases to have the dataflow in 2

directions. In order to do this I need to setup users. I have created 1 user

with the same credentials to the 2 machines that the databases are running

from.

I have linked the users to sql with the correct privileges. I can connect to

one remote database, but when I try to connect to the other I get this message

"Login failed for user 'NEAL-LAPTOP\Guest'. (.Net SqlClient Data

Provider)" other information with this error "Server Name:

NEAL-LAPTOP Error Number: 18456 Severity: 14 State: 1 Line Number: 65536"

keep in mind that the user in not "Guest" and I am logged in as the

correct user.

I would appreciate if anyone can help me out with this

Hi,

you will have to disable the simple file sharing on the server machine. If activated incoming connections will be "authenticated" as the Guest user. Disabling that will force the client to pass the credentials.

HTH, Jens K. Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de

No comments:

Post a Comment