Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Can't Register SQLServer in Enterprise Manager

I have been trying to register a SQL server in my server
group in Enterprise Manager but it cannot find the
server. The SQL server (SQLServer2k) resides on a server
machine running WinServer2K. I am trying to gain access
from a remote PC running Win2k.
I am able to see the server in the list of available
servers when I run the registration wizard. But when I
finish the wizard it fails to establish a connection. I
have double checked login ID and password. I even set up
another instance of a SQL server on the server machine.
When I start the wizard again to register the new server,
I see the new server in the available list but I can't
connect to it either.
I uninstalled and reinstalled SQLServer2k on both the
server and the client PC. Still no luck. I can establish
ethernet connection between the two machines so it doesn't
appear to be a network problem, especially when I can see
the servers in my availability list.
Any ideas on why this is happening and how to fix?
Roger.We had some issues in our group, where the default database specified in the
Login was no longer attached to the SQL Server.
This caused the Server Registration to fail.
HTH, Amol.
"Roger Denison" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:92c101c43367$84ec1910$a501280a@.phx.gbl...
> I have been trying to register a SQL server in my server
> group in Enterprise Manager but it cannot find the
> server. The SQL server (SQLServer2k) resides on a server
> machine running WinServer2K. I am trying to gain access
> from a remote PC running Win2k.
> I am able to see the server in the list of available
> servers when I run the registration wizard. But when I
> finish the wizard it fails to establish a connection. I
> have double checked login ID and password. I even set up
> another instance of a SQL server on the server machine.
> When I start the wizard again to register the new server,
> I see the new server in the available list but I can't
> connect to it either.
> I uninstalled and reinstalled SQLServer2k on both the
> server and the client PC. Still no luck. I can establish
> ethernet connection between the two machines so it doesn't
> appear to be a network problem, especially when I can see
> the servers in my availability list.
> Any ideas on why this is happening and how to fix?
> Roger.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment