Sunday, March 11, 2012

Cant run SQL Server 2000 Developer on XP MCE

I started with SQL Server 2005 Express and created a database. Due to circumstances I needed SS 2000. Uninstalled SS 2005 and installed SS 2000 without incident. I already had SS 2000 Enterprise Manager running with other client databases registered.

When I went to Ent Mgr and tried to register my new SS 2000 instance, I got this error: "A connection could not be established to LOYDSLAPTOP. Reason: SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ConnectionOpen (Connect()). Please verify the server is running and check your SQL Server registration properties (by right-clicking on the LOYDSLAPTOP node) and try again."

I have verified that the following services are both running: MSSQL$SQLSERVER2000 and SQLAgent$SQLSERVER2000.

I am certain that I used the sa user with password originally entered when I installed SS 2000 when I tried to register/connect to the local instance of SS. Plus I also tried to connect using the domain user and password entered when I installed SS and got the same error message.

What am I doing wrong? What do I need to change?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.Shouldn't you use MSCE to run MSSQL SERV 2000 in Windows XP ?|||Not sure what you mean. I googled MSCE and all I got were misspellings of MCSE, or perhaps that is a previous certification from Microsoft. I called MS tech support and they told me that Win XP MCE was not a supported OS, so I guess I'm hosed on that.

Thanks anyway for trying.|||Sorry for the typo, I meant MSDE, and I can tell you it works. I use it on my xp.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=413744D1-A0BC-479F-BAFA-E4B278EB9147&displaylang=en|||Ortho,

Thanks for the info. That would have been a great suggestion. I am going to try and get the vendor to take back the SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition and trade it for a 2005 DE. I have already uninstalled the SS 2000 and reinstalled 2005 Express. Also, the hosting company was gracious enough to move us to a SS 2005 server and the backup file I created previously with 2005 Express worked beautifully, so I guess my problems are solved - except for getting my client's costs for the SS 2000 DE put to better use.

Thanks again for the help.|||2005 Express is the equivalent of MSDE but in 2005 version.

No comments:

Post a Comment