Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cant insert enough characters...

I must be doing something wrong, but I cannot imagine what it could be. I made a brand new table and started to enter some data. I am putting the initail data in using Enterprise Manager. This is essentially test data for development. I have several varchar columns set to 8000 for their size. When I try to enter text into them it is getting truncated at 999 characters. I thought that maybe I misunderstood the varchar type and that 1000 characters is 8000 bits and that is what the 8000 means. So, I redid the table with the datatype "text" for my long columns. Same thing. It is being truncated at 999. Is there something I am missing here? I am not trying to do anything tricky or confusing, I am simply trying to put more than 1000 characters into a table column.
I should mention that I have been pasting the text that is copied from Notepad (to remove any extranous formatting). The text cuts cut off and I cannot even type in the column after that.
Any clues would really be appreciated.I believe there is this 1000 odd (may be 1024) limit for entering data through Enterprise Manager.
Don't forget that Enterprise Manager is not the ultimate tool for data entry.
If you run an INSERT or UPDATE statement through SQL Query Analyzer,you should be just fine. Or even submitting more than 1000 charactersfrom an ASP.NET webform and performing an INSERT.
Hope that helps.
Wim
|||Ok, that makes sense. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy :) Thank-you for the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment