Tuesday, February 14, 2012

can't install sample databases plus no documents or tutorials

I have downloaded and run all the .msi's for the sample databases. To install them I am suppose to use "SQL Server 2005 Setup, you need to click the Advanced button....". I don't seem to have a "SQL Server 2005 Setup" - did the docs revert back to SQL Server rather than SQL Express or what ?

R
Perhaps I was unclear on the problem (people have looked at my post but no one has replied). I am trying to follow the instructions at

http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/8/6/d865cf0c-c44b-401b-b426-b3bf5c628112/GettingStartedWithSQLSamples.htm
Don't know why that doesn't show up as an URL.

Anyway the intructions do not match what I have downloaded.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

R
|||

I downloaded the files couple of days ago on my own for a training. I think the process described here is for non-Express version, but for express version (or as a standalone inspection) you can download the sample files here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=e719ecf7-9f46-4312-af89-6ad8702e4e6e&displaylang=en

HTH, Jens Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de

|||Thanks Jens for the reply and the link; however, that link is the crux of the problem. I have done everything specified on that link until I get to the point of using SQL Server 2005 Setup - which I don't have. I think I have a very neat application but it hard to implement it without a database to practice on.

R
|||

The first three steps of the Getting Started with SQL Server Samples document that your reference deal specifically with how to install the SqlSamples.msi file when you are installing SQL Server. These do not apply to SQL Express because we do not include the SqlSamples.msi as part of our installer package. (We do this to keep it small.) Steps starting with four still apply.

Rather, you need to install the samples separately by downloading SqlSamples.msi from the Samples page that Jens pointed to. You will see a bunch of links on that page that break the Sample installation files up by processor type, e.g. x86. The direct link for the x86 version is http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/1/8/a1872d6b-f740-4c52-a2c5-0eb5bdd1a7e3/SqlServerSamples.msi.

Once you've downloaded this file, just run it and it will install the Samples onto your computer. You can then use the Start menu (All Programs | Microsoft SQL Server 2005 | Documentation and Tutorials | Samples Directory) to open the directory and find the various sub-categories. Each specific sample has a read-me with more information about how to use it. For many, you will need AdventureWorksDB installed, which is also a separate download for Express and available on the same page with the samples. (i.e. the one that Jens gives.)

No comments:

Post a Comment