Sunday, February 12, 2012

Can't Install Express because .Net Framework 2 is installed! I'm going around in circles.

I'm new to SQL Express and from the SQL Express DOWNLOAD page you need to install .NET Framework 2 then install SQL Express. After installing .NET Framework 2.0 I then attempt to install SQL Express and I get a message that SQL Server 2005 Setup has detected incompatible components from beta versions of Visual Studio, .NET Framework or SQL Server 2005. I used the Visual Studio removal tool and it took out .NET Framwork. I re-installed this and did a reboot and get the SAME ISSUE! CAN ANYONE GET ME OUT OF THIS MS loop nightmare.

Thanks! Jeff

Make sure that you uninstalled any beta-versions of SQLServer 2005 / VS / The Framework and other beta products that might have shipped the .NET 2.0 beta along with them. THen run the removal tool. THis should clean out every reference to the assemblies and evidences.

HTH, Jens K. Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de|||Thanks Jens but this is a clean Win Pro 2K wkstation that NEVER had any of these products, BETA or live installed. When I ran the removal tool it took .NET 2 off and I tried to the SQL xpress install and it wanted .NET 2K. Could the site that I downloaded it from have been BETA? I would guess not as I saw no reference to it and it was a link right off the SQL Express site that mentioned I needed this first anyway. I'm still baffled. I also looked at a full SQL Server 2005 disk from MS and it also wanted the same .NET 2 loaded before an install. I only need SQL Express for the app. I'm running. Thanks Jeff|||

This issue has been answered several times in this forum. Check out my answer to this post for example.

Mike

|||

Thanks Mike for some direction. Again this was a clean O/S and I was simply following the instructions on the SQL Express page with no luck. I looked at the logs as you suggested and saw no real issue. Here is the summary. I looked at each log file and do not see what is causing the fuss other than an additiona of .42 to the end of the version of .NET. So I uninstalled .NET again and re-downloaded it from the same site and re-installed it and behold all is well.

Loaded DLL:C:\WINNT\system32\msi.dll Version:3.1.4000.2435
Product "{44568A1C-53F6-49A5-A163-CD9ADC0F76D5}" versioned 2.0.50727 is not compatible with current builds of SQL Server.Expected at least version: 2.0.50727.42

Why the old version is still floating on the links to SQL Express is yet another MS mystery to solve, GFL. I really did search the forum and did not see any answers to this.Thanks again, your log viewing saved the day! Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment