Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Can't install Express June CTP?!

Hey all, I'm trying to install SQL Server 2005 Express June CTP on a windows 2003 Web Edition Server (With SP1).

I've had an old version of the .NET 2.0 Framework installed, so I downloaded the one mentioned next to the SQL Express download (this one: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=48448).

Each and every time I run the setup I encounter this error:
The SQL Server service failed to start. For more information, see the SQL Server Books Online topics, "How to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Log Files" and "Starting SQL Server Manually."
There is not even any sort of SQL Server service in the list of services, what should I do?
Regards,

Hendrik BehrensI've also tried the same on Windows XP Professional SP2. I had to uninstall a previous version of .NET 2.0 and VWD Express/VB Express Beta 2 are installed.

I get the same error message?! - The service is not there and the setup just fails with that message.

I've had SQL Express April CTP installed on a windows 2003 Enterprise *trial*, which worked, the update to Junce CTP... right, fails with the same message.
Any proposals?|||Did you look for the log files?

-Euan|||Yes I did, and I found the problem: My windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 Web Edition are both german - the setup fails on non-english langauge versions with default settings, this german article describes the problem and how to solve it (for everyone else who encounters this):

http://www.microsoft.com/germany/msdn/vs2005/installvs2005beta.mspx
(basically, remove the tick "Hide advanced configuration Options" and select "Local System" as the service account, instead of "Network Service", which is the default.)

No comments:

Post a Comment