Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Can't install SQL 2005 server components

I've been trying to install SQL 2005 on my development laptop. So far
I've been able to install all client components, but the setup program
never gives me the option to install the server components. I first
tried with the Enterprise edition. I then found out that Enterprise
doesn't run on Win XP Pro SP2. So I uninstalled everything and tried
again with Developer. In the beginning of the setup process, I get 14
successful checks, zero errors, zero warnings. When I then get into the
feature selection screen, all it shows me is "Client Components" and
"Documentation, Samples and Sample Databases".
Nowhere can I get to the server components. I've tried uninstalling,
reinstalling, with VS2005, without VS2005, but to no avail. Can anyone
help me?
Thanks!
DirkHow do you start the setup? There's both a client setup and a server setup.
I don't have the DVD
here, so safest bet it to use what autorun uses.
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
<dcdirk@.gmail.com> wrote in message news:1131557740.758696.14810@.o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.co
m...
> I've been trying to install SQL 2005 on my development laptop. So far
> I've been able to install all client components, but the setup program
> never gives me the option to install the server components. I first
> tried with the Enterprise edition. I then found out that Enterprise
> doesn't run on Win XP Pro SP2. So I uninstalled everything and tried
> again with Developer. In the beginning of the setup process, I get 14
> successful checks, zero errors, zero warnings. When I then get into the
> feature selection screen, all it shows me is "Client Components" and
> "Documentation, Samples and Sample Databases".
> Nowhere can I get to the server components. I've tried uninstalling,
> reinstalling, with VS2005, without VS2005, but to no avail. Can anyone
> help me?
> Thanks!
> Dirk
>|||Hi Tibor,
I loaded the files from the downloaded ISO files (CD1 and CD2) into a
directory on my harddisk. I simply run the setup program. I did follow
your suggestion, though, and ran splash.hta, which is what would get
run through autorun. The options I have there under "Install" are: 1)
Tools, Books Online, and samples only 2) Run the SQL Native Client
Installation Wizard
SQL Native Client Install wizzard reinstalls, but still no server
components...
Dirk|||OK, it looks like I found what the problem was. I burned the ISO images
to CD instead of to the harddrive, and now the server components
actually show up during install...

No comments:

Post a Comment