Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Can't install Management Studio

I am trying to install SQL Server 2005 Management Studio on my system. I
had SQL Server Express, with Management Studio Express, installed before.
The SQL installer allowed me to upgrade the SQL Server engine, but it said
that I had a different version of Management Studio installed and blocked
me from upgrading.
I uninstalled SQL Server Express and tried to install Standard, but it gave
me the same error. I read that Visual Studio could cause this problem, so I
uninstalled Visual Studio. Same issue. I can install everything EXCEPT
Management Studio.
It looks to me like the uninstall of Management Studio Express, or perhaps
Visual Studio, left some junk either in the registry or on the file system
(or maybe both), and the Management Studio install is tripping over these
file/entries. Can anyone tell me what entries the installer checks to
determine whether it can install itself? I want to try removing all the
entries myself to see if I can get the installer to run successfully. I
might nuke my machine, but I am already in a position where I am going to
have to re-image if this doesn't work.
Thanks for any help...
Rob Munn (nospam@.nospam.org) writes:
> I uninstalled SQL Server Express and tried to install Standard, but it
> gave me the same error. I read that Visual Studio could cause this
> problem, so I uninstalled Visual Studio. Same issue. I can install
> everything EXCEPT Management Studio.
> It looks to me like the uninstall of Management Studio Express,
I'm just checking one thing out: you said you uninstalled SQL Express.
Uninstalling SQL Express will not installed Mgmt Studio Express, that
is a separate install. Double-check that Mgmt Studio Express is not still
on your system.
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se
Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx

No comments:

Post a Comment