Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Can't install Reporting Services and Full-Text Search on Windows Vista

When I install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services SP2 on Windows Vista, Reporting Services and Full-Text Search are not being installed. My user account is configured as a Standard User. When I initiate the installation, I'm prompted for the password for the administrator user account.

During the System Configuration Check, I get a warning for the IIS Feature Requirement action. The associated message says: "Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) is either not installed or is disabled. IIS is required by some SQL Server features. Without IIS, some SQL Server features will not be available for installation. To install all SQL Server features, install IIS from Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel or enable the IIS service through the Control Panel if it is already installed, and then run SQL Server Setup again. For a list of features that depend on IIS, see Features Supported by Editions of SQL Server in Books Online."

KB Article 920201 ("You receive a warning message on the System Configuration Check page of the SQL Server 2005 Setup program on a computer that is running Windows Vista or a Server Core installation of Windows Server "Longhorn"") seems to address this issue. I used the Windows Features applet and selected all of the Internet Information Services items that were listed in the KB article; however, the "Windows Authentication" item was not in my list. ("IIS Metabase" and "IIS 6 WMI" were in my list but were worded differently--"IIS Metabase and IIS 6 configuration compatibility" and "IIS 6 WMI Compatibility", respectively--but I selected them both.) When I re-ran the SQLEXPR_ADV installer, I got the same warning...and Reporting Services and Full-Text Search were still not installed.

I went back into the Windows Features applet and selected all of the remaining unselected "Internet Information Services" items, and then re-ran the SQLEXPR_ADV installer. I got the same warning...and Reporting Services and Full-Text Search were still not installed.

It's frustrating that there is no obvious reason or error message as to why Reporting Services and Full-Text Search are not being installed. Are these features compatible with Windows Vista? Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem might be?

Which Vista edition do you have ?

Jens K. Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de
|||I'm running Vista Home Premium at the moment; however, I'm considering upgrading to Vista Ultimate.|||

You should , see the blog entry from Brian Welcker:

http://blogs.msdn.com/bwelcker/archive/2007/03/19/candy-apple-grey-installing-ssrs-and-windows-vista.aspx

"Note that IIS7 in Vista Home Premium does not include Windows Authentication functionality so it will not work with SSRS. "

Jens K. Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de

|||

Thanks, Jens. That blog entry is crystal clear. It would have been nice for the SQL Server 2005 SP2 Readme (especially the "Installation Requirements" section and/or the "Reporting Considerations for Windows Vista" section) to mention this requirement/limitation. I reviewed that document numerous times, without improvement.

I guess I'll be upgrading to Vista Ultimate right away!

|||

I used WindowsAnytimeUpdate.com to purchase and install Vista Ultimate. Upon the completion of the install and reboot, I noticed that Windows Authentication was now listed as an IIS option; however, all of the IIS options I had previously installed were no longer installed.

I installed all of the IIS options listed in that blog entry--which match the list of required options in MSKB 920201, BTW. Next, I re-ran SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services SP2. The System Configuration Check displayed the same warning about IIS being disabled or not being installed. I continued with the install anyway. Sure enough, the Feature Selection list did not display Reporting Services as an option. On the plus side: At least it no longer listed Reporting Services as an option, let me select it, and then not install it without any error message!

So at this point, I still haven't been able to install Reporting Services. Any other ideas?

|||Please help!|||I general you will have to make sure that ASP:NET applications are able and allowed to run on your system. By default even the .NET filters / runtime on the IIS is disabled for security reasons.

Jens K. Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de
|||Its still not fully compatible with vista 32-bit or 64-bit, any edition ..... you will always have probems!

No comments:

Post a Comment